Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spring Break in Moscow: Part Three



Jeans were a big deal during the Soviet era.  I don’t understand why the Soviets couldn’t make the equivalent to Levis….but they didn’t.  Jeans were a hot item.

So when I went, armed with the knowledge that jeans could easily be sold on the black market, I took a pair of worn demins that I had purchased at Fred Segal in L.A.

I’ve always loved fishing.  And trolling for jeans buyers didn’t take long.  Within minutes I was given rubles and the buyer had my jeans. 

I spent those rubles on a good meal in a restaurant and in a bookshop.  I bought a set of Anton Chekov plays.

A few years later, my soon to be husband took me to see The Cherry Orchard at Edinburgh’s Lyceum Theatre.  I pulled out the Russian book and read up so I wouldn’t seem uneducated about the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment